Thursday, February 17, 2011

Evil

Longtime readers of this publication will remember that I am an avid fan of CAO's fine cigars, and that I feel that they are the finest quality smokes a gentleman can purchase.

I have been forced to reconsider that opinion in light of the Evil.

Gurkha cigars are considered some of the most super-premium blends in the world and are enjoyed by society's elite social groups, including heads of state and even the Sultan of Brunei.  I can see why - the Gurkha's Evil was one of the finest smokes I have ever had.  From the very beginning of the experience, I knew I was in for a treat.  The band is handsome, reminiscent of old prints and newsletters.  The outer wrapping is rich and dark, without veins or cracks.  The pre-light draw gave me a rush of flavors - pepper and clove, with a cloying hint of anise.  The binding wrapper was sweet and contrasted well against the spice - it was almost foreplay.

The Evil burns evenly and well, giving out about a 45-minute smoke (I had purchased the Torpedo), with the flavor and intensity building throughout, becoming stronger and richer every few puffs.  I was grateful That I had eaten recently, for this is not a cigar to be enjoyed on an empty stomach.  The smoke is thick and creamy, not as dense as the American, but satisfying and aromatic.  I would pair this drink with a Disaronno amaretto - the tastes compliment each other well. 

I would rate this smoke a 4 on a four-point scale.  This is the epitome of fine cigar smoking, and deserves a permanent place in your humidor.

Cigar: Gurkha Evil
Size: 6.5 x 53 Torpedo
Wrapper: Brazilian
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Nicaraguan

The Editor expects - nay, demands, that you try the Evil at your earliest convenience.  The experience would amply repay the cost. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment